Around the world and back – the story of our DC3
Our DC3 airliner was manufactured at Tinker airfield in Oklahoma and delivered to the United States Army Air Force on October 30, 1944. During WW2 she served with various units and squadrons in continental America before being transferred to Japan and the Philippines for service in the Korean War.
Following decommissioning in April 1959, she was used by Philippines Airlines on their first international service from Manila to Hong Kong. She was then sold to PATAIR in New Guinea before appearing on the Australian register in 1970, flying for Bush Pilot Airlines and Queensland Airlines. In 1983, the DC3 was retired to the Mackay Air Museum, then flew as “Gooney Bird Tours” in Northern Queensland before finally being retired as a static exhibit.